The course teaches the basics of Piano technique focusing mainly on having an understanding of the instrument, learning how to play and perform simple melodies, songs and classical pieces with the help of reading Staff Notation for both hands. The course is divided into two parts Beginners I and Beginners II, giving you a bundle of learning the techniques of piano playing, music theory, learning how to read music as staff notation and also builds one’s sight reading skills. In order to apply for this course, the students should have completed the Begnniers I course. Through this course, the students will be able to express their musical ideas and feelings, use their creativity, imagination and intuition for the pieces and songs they learn, develop their skills, knowledge and understanding of the instrument and reflect on and evaluate their progress.
- Students will be able to map music notations to the instrument and see how the notes are placed on the piano.
- The students will gain understanding on Music theory, in terms of reading sheet music and various music-related terms that we apply to enhance our performance skills.
- Skills on the techniques of piano playing will be developed wherein the students will learn Major scales, and Primary triads as a warm up exercise.
- The students will also learn to play classical pieces and simple songs from various genres.
- Sight reading and Hand independence will also be focused to enhance their performance.
- Age group: 8 and above
- The student should have a personal interest in leaning Western music; how to play the piano and reading sheet music.
- Should have completed the Beginners I course.
- Trinity College of London Piano - Grade 1 book
- Note Book
- Manuscript Book
Piano Technique - II
Technical Skills from Trinity Grade 1 Book
- Working Posture and Hand Position
- Hand Independence & Coordination
- Simple melodies on Sheet music- applying both hands
Performance Skills from Trinity Grade 1 Book
- Scales: C, G, D F & relative minors
- Broken Chords: C, G, D F & relative minors
- Arpeggios: C, G, D F & relative minors
- Primary Chords & Inversions: C, G, D F & relative minors
Sight Reading Technique from Trinity Grade 1 Book
- Choose ANY three Pieces
- Choose ANY three Exercises
Aural Technique from Trinity Grade 1 Book
- Understanding Notes on Grand Staff
- Identifying Treble Clef & Bass Clef Notation
- Learn to Read and Clap Rhythm
- Identify Time Signature
- Identify Key Signature
- Identify Major or Minor Scale
Musical Knowledge from Trinity Grade 1 Book
- Understanding Pitch
- Identifying Higher or Lower Pitch
- Identifying Meter or Time Signature
- Identifying Ascending or Descending Notes
- Time Signature: 2/4, 3/4, 4/4 & 6/8
- Key Signature: C, G, F & Relative minors
- Intervals: Major Scale
- Accidentals: Sharp, Flat & Natural
- Articulations: Expression Marking
- Tempo Marking & Metronome Marking
- Dynamics Marking
- 2 Songs or Pieces with same technical level from OM Book
By the end of this course, the students will be able to:
- Read simple pieces with note and rhythmic accuracy
- Understand and play major scales and primary triads using correct finger positions.
- Play simple melodies with Primary chords in inversions.
- Be able to apply music theory concepts and read music on Staff lines.
- How to Play Pieces with Expressions
- Play at least TWO Piano Pieces and at least TWO Piano Exercises from TCL Grade 1 Examination